Saturday, July 30, 2011

BLOG 2: MASTERPLANS FOR ICT IN EDUCATION

In this fast-growing modern society, which is deemed to be full of opportunities and at the same time, competitive, it is imperative to suggest that the nation and her people must improve together with the advancement in Info-communication technology (ICT). As globalization continues to take place, and with the increase in network users, making use of social networking sites, video conferencing, and the sharing of vast information over the internet, it is no wonder why it is important for MOE to develop the three Masterplans for ICT in education, to integrate ICT into the everyday’s lives of the students. This enables students to gain knowledge and skills in administering work using ICT, which then making work more efficient and effective, increasing the individual overall productivity.

When I was in Primary 5, a row of computers were placed near the canteen and students like us, who didn’t own one at home, would flock to the computers during recess time to have a go at the typing or mathematics game. It was then when I was first introduced to the use of a computer. I learned how to switch on and shut down the computer. I also learned how to type at a faster speed and improve my mental calculation with the interactive mathematics software that was pre-installed in the computer systems. In the same year, my science teacher assigned us environmental projects to research about different phenomena of our environment such as ozone layer depletion and present it to the class during lesson. By this time, I feel that computer isn’t an unfamiliar thing but a useful and convenient tool in creating presentable work. Besides, there was Perfect 10, diskette software that we use to do assessment and improve on our subject knowledge. With the exposure to ICT, we come to acknowledge ICT as an integral part of education.

In subsequent years, we watched movies on the Internet during Literature class and music class. I could remember vividly in my Secondary 3 Chinese class, that my teacher played us Jay Chou’s song to teach us phrases that are relevant to the lesson. This is one of times where Chinese lesson becomes up to date and young kids like us then find it easier to relate to the songs. I was also chosen to participate in learning journey where I was sent for macromedia flash and video editing lessons. This gives me exposure to what the use of ICT can offer. During my studies in upper secondary and junior college, there was project work put in place, which we learn to do research, reports, surveys with the use of the computer and other media. As a result of the extensive use of ICT in education, I myself find it very beneficial, that I would be able to do my assignments and work easily, with the help of ICT.

From my enhanced school experience, I foresee that my role as a teacher, or as a beginning teacher, to be facilitator, who will engage the students for self-directed learning. I will then provide guidance and mentorship when I see the need to. This enables the students to know that help will be provided, but that the same time, knowing that they have the tools in acquiring knowledge on their own and will learn independently. With the help of ICT, there will be flexibility in learning, where I can keep track and comment on students’ work out of the classroom, which takes learning anywhere, out of the rigidity of structured curriculum time.

No comments:

Post a Comment